[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Thermal mass effect

Sorry, by total cooling load I was actually refering to the peak.

Actually, I'm not sure it does do much to the peak.  I'm getting
more comfortable with my 5% figure.

The basic problem is the solar gain spikes that occur at lower solar
altitudes (where it's difficult to provide external shading). It's
the spikes that send the thermal comfort index out of control.  By
its nature thermal mass is slow release, so it flattens the day but
does little for the spikes.

It's an interesting issue. I wish I had more time to spend on it.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael J. Witte"
<mjwitte@g...> wrote:
> The radiant ceiling panels certainly complicates matters, because
it causes the
> surfaces temperatures in the entire zone to be cooler than they
would be using
> an air-only HVAC system.  You mentioned comparing total cooling
load.  Have you
> looked at peak cooling loads?  If there is no night venting, then
I would