Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Shading in EnergyPlus -- Correction

Linda:

Sorry--I wasn't paying all that much attention to support email last week
while I was out of town and too many pile up after a certain number of days
to go through them all.  I'm glad to see the correction posted.  The roof
should only shade in the direction of its outward normal so overhangs
should be used to get the true shading effect.  I hadn't considered the
thermal mass effect of the excess roof overhang--I'm not sure how much that
would be.  However, by overspecifying the area of a roof a user could
artificially increase the amount of heat transfer through the roof because
E+ will not try to figure out the portion of the roof actually connected to
the inside.  The roof portion that overhangs is in reality a fin that would
have some conduction heat transfer impact--if we modeled 2-d effects in
E+.  I think the biggest impact is still the shading impact and I agree
that putting an overhang in is essential for modeling this effect.

Rick