Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] E+ restrictions

Hi Clarice,

I have done exactly the same thing as you before. Tried to make 3 identical
models with these tools (ESP-r, E+ and Ecotect - although ecotect was not used a
lot but only to see how the "translator" was working) and it was not easy at
all. The next version of ESP-r will actually have a slightly better translator
to E+ (no restrictions for example at the nymber of vertices per surface as it
was using previous E+ versions before).
Regarding your questions now, Linda answered most of them apart from the last
one. Just to add that vertex and surfaces restrictions in ESP-r are there
actually because probably (my opinion) in the past (that machines were slower)
were trying to make the all process faster (by keeping I guess the arrays in the
code smaller). Users can always change those numbers manually in the code.

Now the boundary condition called "similar" in ESP-r is translated as internal
mass in E+ ('Surface:HeatTransfer:InternalMass').

Regards,
Georgios

Quoting Linda Lawrie <linda@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> At 09:35 AM 8/16/2005, Clarice Bleil de Souza wrote:
> >
> >1) Is there any limited number of vertex per zone? (ESP-r for
> >example doesn't allow more than 250 vertex per zone)
>
> No, though you might have to manipulate the IDD to change the current
> explicit limit in there.  As distributed, it's 120 -- you need to
> read the \note / \memo at the front of the Surface:HeatTransfer
> object to understand how to "extend".
>

> >2) Is there any limited number of surfaces per zone? (again ESP-r
> >limit is 62 surfaces per zone)
>
> No
>

> >3) Is there any limited number of windows per surface? (ESP-r
> >"prefers" 2 windows per surface at maximum)
>
> No
>

> >4) Is there any limit number of doors per surface?
>
> no
>

> >5) Is ther any number of obstructions or external shading devices
> >per zone or per model?
>
> no
>

> >6) Is there any limited number of zones per model? (In ESP-r this
> >number is limited to 32 zones but it can be recompiled to 50 or more)
>
> no
>

> >7) Can surfaces in middle zones be interpreted as the same as the
> >boundary condition called "similar" in ESP-r?
>
> have no idea.
>

> Linda
>
> EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
> Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list
> Member: EnergyPlus Development Team

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
> folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>