Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Glass elevator in a glass elevator shaft

EnergyPlus does allow interior windows, but they are not considered
"Sunexposed" because they do not see outdoor solar radiation directly.  I
assume that the gap between the elevator cabin and the glass walls of the shaft
is fairly narrow.  Given that, there are two approaches which may be applicable:

A)  Define two zones, one for the empty portion of the shaft, and another for
the elevator cabin including a portion of the surrounding shaft.  Define the
combined shaft glass and cabin glass as double-pane airflow windows (because
you mentioned that the air in the shaft might provide cooling.

B)  Define the shaft as a zone with exterior windows, and define the cabin as a
second zone.  The walls of the cabin would be interzone surfaces with windows
(these surfaces and windows are defined in both the shaft and cabin zones, with
exterior environment of OtherZoneSurface, referencing the companion surface as
an Outside face environment object).  Windows on interior walls receive direct
and diffuse sunlight from the exterior zone and transmit it to the interior
zone.  Note, however that the solar gain entering the second zone is treated as
all diffuse, directionality is lost at that point.

In both of these options, I would recommend setting the Solar Distribution
field in the Building object to FullInteriorAndExterior or
FullInteriorAndExteriorWithReflections.

This is a very complex problem, and the simulation results will have some
uncertainty.  I would recommend doing some sensitivities, varying uncertain
parameters to get a range of results.  Also, if you use the thermal comfort
reporting, my understanding is that these do not account for the impact of
solar radiation incident directly on the person, which could be a significant
effect in this situation.

Mike

On 29 Aug 2005, at 12:25, stfnlstnr wrote:

> Dear all,
> for estimating the temperatures people have to stand in an elevator
> who got stuck i wanted to make a simulation with e+. The elvevator
> brings up people  from the street to an upstairs plattform. Elevator
> and shaft both are glass. The shaft has an height of about 15m and is
> sun radiated from three sides. Calculating the temperature for the
> shaft without cabin  works perfectly. But calculating the temperature
> for the inner zone cabin doesn't work. E+ refuses to accept interior
> sun exposed surfaces. Is a modelling possible, which gets the radiant
> energy caught by the cabin? The air beetween cabin and shaft shall
> possibly provide cooling.
>
> Best regards
>
> Stefan

> http://www.energyplus.gov