Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] window shading questions

1.  The EnergyPlus window shade controls can only model one shading layer.  I
cannot think of a way to model what you describe.

2.  There are two things you can do to solve the "too many figures . . ."
problem.  a)  When describing surrounding buildings, describe only the facades
which will cast shadows on your building (do not describe all 4 sides of a
neighboring building if one side is adequate to describe the shading).  b)  Add
"Diagnostics, DoNotMirrorDetachedShading;" to your input file.  This turns off
the automatic mirroring of detached shading surfaces.  This must be used with
caution, because this requires that you be careful about the facing direction
of every detached shading surface.  Every detached shading surface must face
toward the building being modeled, because shadows are only cast in that
direction (hemisphere).

3.  When using a window5 construction, the frame and divider information is
taken from the window5 file, FrameAndDivider inputs in the EnergyPlus idf which
are applied to a window5 window are ignored.  So, is this a mistake?  It
depends on which frame and divider information you intend to model.

Mike

On 29 Aug 2006 at 14:48, Aslihan Tavil wrote:

> Hello,
> How can I model interior shades such as drapes which is kept closed
> during daytime for all months and exterior blinds which are
> controlled with a control type of "OnIfHighSolarOnWindow" with a
> defined set point only for summer days for a residential building?
> Can I model interior and movable fixed exterior window shades
> together at the same time?
>
> My other question is that I defined buildings which shade my
> building. But I got many warning messages such as,
> ** Warning ** Too many figures in a shadow overlap
>    **   ~~~   ** Overlapping figure=SHADE-1K-MID, Surface Class=
> [SHADING.
> When I delete some of the shading surfaces the number of warning
> messages decrease, do I have to pay attention to these warning
> messages.
>
> For now, my last question is that, since I use Window5data base, had
> the warning message below, can I ignore it, or did I make anything
> wrong?
> ** Warning ** GetHTSubSurfaceData: Input FrameAndDivider PLASTIK-
> DOGRAMA for window WINDOW-2G1-GND
>    **   ~~~   ** will be replaced with FrameAndDivider from Window5
> Data File entry PENCERE-1
>
> Thank you very much
>
> asli

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support