Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Simulation errors

Regarding questions 2 and 3.  The unbalanced exhaust air flow rate errors are
occuring because the system fans are not operating during occupied hours.  If
you look at the table reports, there are many hours of setpoint not met, and
the fans never come on for the design day runs.

The problem is in the availability manager specifications.  EnergyPlus requires
a SYSTEM AVAILABILITY MANAGER to actively turn on an air loop.  This input file
has the following availability manager:

SYSTEM AVAILABILITY MANAGER:NIGHT CYCLE,
    Night Cycle Mode,        !- Name
    Fans - Night Cycle Mode, !- Applicability schedule name
    On,                      !- Fan schedule name
    Cycle On Any,            !- Control type
    1.1111111405455,         !- thermostat on/off tolerance {deltaC}
    3600;                    !- Cycling run time {s}

If I understand your intent, this manager should be active at all times, so
the applicability schedule should be "On".  The Fan schedule then specifies the
times that the system should be ON and the night cycle controls take over when
the fan schedule is zero.  So, if I understand your intent, the fan schedule
should be the inverse of your "Fans - Night Cycle Mode".

However, there is a problem with the ZONE EXHAUST FAN schedules.  As you noted,
even with the exhaust fans scheduled off at all times, they are still operating
at certain hours - not sure what schedule they are following.  I will post a
bug report for that.

Mike

On 16 Nov 2006 at 18:07, brianstreby wrote:

> I have been able to complete a "successful" simulation of my idf file.
> However I am unable to resolve the following errors/issues:
>
> 1) There is a warning error "Base surface does not surround subsurface
> (CHKSBS), Overlap Status=Partial-Overlap" ..."Surface "W-E-F102:3"
> overlaps SubSurface "G:1-W-E-F102:3"". I've confirmed that the
> surfaces are in the same plane, that the vertex order is correct, and
> that the surfaces do not overlap (via the dxf file). Any suggestions
> on what else might be causing this error?
>
> 2) I have unbalanced exhaust airflows in both primary air loops. I
> have verified that the availability schedule for the zone exhaust fans
> has the exhaust fans on only when the main supply air systems are also
> on. Also, I have turned the exhaust fans off completely and still got
> the same error.
>
> 3) Judging from the output spreadsheets, the primary air systems do
> not appear to operate in the simulation. Could this be because of one
> of the above errors, or is there something else fundamentally wrong
> with the system input?
>
> I have copied all input and output files to
> the ../_Problem_Submittals/PSU_WB directory in .zip format.
>
> Many thanks for helping with this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support