Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Defining zones

It appears that nobody responded to this question - my apologies for the delay.

Whether to model such connections depends on the goal of the analysis.  If all
of the floors will be conditioned to the same temperature, then there is little
energy use impact from air movement between floors.  If you are modeling an
airflownetwork, then such connections are very important.  For a model that has
one zone per floor, I would negelect trying to model flow between the floors.
You may want to reduce the size of the floor surface in the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and
6th level zones to avoid including too much mass in the building.

Mike

On 15 Dec 2006 at 12:19, David Barrera wrote:

> Hi:
> The building I?m simulating has something like meeting
> points (a 20x11 m area) in 1st and 3rd levels; the
> point is that the floor of this area units south and
> north floors of the building; on the other hand,
> there?s no meeting area in the rest of the levels
> (2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th), due to this, air travels free
> between this space from one level to the other. Should
> I be careful about something considering that each
> level has the minimum of 6 surfaces that a zone need
> to be defined (just like I?ve done, one zone for each
> level), but there are spaces that intercommunicate the
> air among zones? Thanks a lot.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
>
> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx