Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy storage into a wall

Have you tried a steady-state design-day case to make sure that everything
balances as expected?  Perhaps there is a missing term in your formulation of
the exterior surface heat balance.

Mike

On 8 Feb 2008 at 10:37, Michela wrote:

> Hello!
> I?m trying to evaluate the role of thermal
> inertia of an exterior wall of a very simple
> building in purchased air simulation. The idea is
> to calculate the energy stored into and released by the wall, say DE.
>
> For this I use ?conduction into the wall, qko?
> and ?conduction from outside, qki?, like defined
> in the manual Engineering Reference page 35 and 48 respectively.
>
> I calculate qko by summing the energy flows at
> the exterior surface as it is described on page
> 35 of the Engineering Reference:
> qasol + qLWR + qconv ? qko = 0
>
> Instead I obtain qki from the Energy Plus
> outputs: ?Opaque Surface Inside Face Conduction
> Gain[W](Hourly)? and ?Opaque Surface Inside Face Conduction Loss[W](Hourly)?.
>
> I assume the following sign convention:
> qko >0 if the flow enters into the wall
> qki >0 if the flow enters into the internal zone.
>
> Then the internal energy variation of the wall in a time step is calculated as:
> DE = (qko ? qki) Dt
>
> It should be that if DE < 0 the wall is loosing
> energy, while if DE > 0 the wall is storing energy.
> Then I expected to find that DE changes its sign
> during the day, showing the heat storage and
> realease. But on the contrary during the summer
> period I observed that the wall always has a
> negative energy variation. The wall has more loss
> then gain. But, looking at the outside and inside
> surface temperatures of the wall, they are not constantly decreasing.
>
> How do you feel with this result? Did anybody
> ever try a similar analysis? May you suggest any
> other way to study the energy storage into the wall?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help!
>
> Michela

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx