Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Mixing objects assumptions

Ana,

In EnergyPlus an air balance is done at the system level. So zone
exhaust air is added up for the
system and the outside air (ventilation air ) is forced to be >= to the
sum of the zone exhaust air.

At the zone level, the program checks to make sure that the supply air
flow to the zone is >=
than the zone exhaust. If it isn't, the exhaust flow is limited and a
warning message is issued.
The exhaust fan's energy elec consumption is for the full, unlimited
exhaust flow.

There is no attempt by the program to balance exhaust flow at the zone
level by inducing
infiltration air or air from other zones.

anarui.oliveira wrote:
> I find the documentation isn't completely clear to me on this point.
>
> So, if I have a zone which, in reality, has only forced exhaust, and
> which receives air by pressure difference from an adjacent zone, what
> would be the best way to model it, for the purpose of heat balance
> and thermal loads calculation?

It depends on the situation; if you have a forced air system with
adequate supply air flow to balance
the total zone exhaust in zones served by the system, the best thing is
to do nothing - assuming your
zones are all adequately conditioned and at pretty much the same
temperature. If this is not your situation
(your building is not pressurized, maybe heated and cooled radiantly)
you should balance zone exhaust
with mixing or infiltration. If a zone is supplying mixing air to
another zone, balance that with infiltration.
Just make sure that each zone has an air balance. Again if you have a
standard forced air system none
of this is necessary.

Fred Buhl