Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Precise surfaces modelling

My apologies for the slow response.

My general advice to users with very thick surfaces is to use the center-line
dimension so that the total thermal mass and the area used for 1-d heat
transfer are correct.

a)  Even though surfaces do not have thickness for shading calculations, window
reveals (or setback) create an implied thickness which will shade the window.
If you describe the window in a different plane than the base surface, the
reveal will be accounted for.  See Input Output Reference (v2.2) p.192 (pdf p.
233).

b)  I do not understand what you mean by "masks" and "non-thermal zone".
Please give me more description of this.

c)  EnergyPlus does not require that corresponding interzone surfaces are
geometrially touching.  The interzone heat transfer connection is made using a
temperature boundary condition, so the two surfaces could theoretically be
miles (or kilometers) apart without causing any problem in the heat transfer
modeling.  It's not clear to me that this separation is important, but you may
certainly describe the surfaces that way if you choose to.

Mike