[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: combine rooms to zone , modeling treated fresh air

My experience says that:

1) It is perfectly acceptable to combine rooms into a single zone as
long as they share principle attributes (e.g., orientation, occupancy
schedule, lighting and equipment density, etc.)
2) IF you combine rooms into a single zone, you will lose reporting
capability for those rooms.  You're trading simplicity and reduced
simulation time for detailed reporting. In my experience, there is
rarely a need to know the energy use for individual rooms.  If, on the
other hand, you are trying to use E+ to get heating and cooling loads,
it may make sense to keep the rooms separated...
3) I have not modeled a system exactly as you describe, however it
sounds like you can model a simple air handler with heating or cooling
as desired and, for the zones, define a Direct Air object with the
correct airflow.  Since Fan coils (I presume "fcu" is a fan coil unit)
are zone objects, you may also use these in concert with the air
handler, along with the proper zone control (i.e., thermostat and
scheduling)objects.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "drjonesg1958"