Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] LOW TEMP RADIANT SYSTEM shut-off

Posting this message on behalf of Rick Strand (not clear if his original
post was distributed to the list):

Florian:

The low temperature radiant system is designed to shut-off when it
predicts that condensation is a possibility at the surface that is part
of the system.  Inside the program, the procedure works as follows.  The
radiant system turns on based on availability and controls.  This leads
to a calculation of a new surface temperature for the surface that is
associated with the radiant system.  If the dew-point temperature of the
zone is within 1C of the predicted surface temperature, the radiant
system shuts down due to the potential for condensation.  The error
messages should be letting you know both the predicted surface
temperature and the zone dewpoint temperature.

Unfortunately, with the current configuration of the low temperature
radiant model, the shut-off cannot be "turned off".  In other words,
there is no way around this as the condensation of moisture is not
desirable from either a modeling or a realistic standpoint.  The best
approach is to do exactly what you attempted to do: add an air stream to
attempt to dry out the space.  I would also recommend looking at the
humidity levels within the space.  I have seen in several files that
contain radiant systems that the moisture levels rise significantly
because the user did not add any infiltration.  When people are in a
space, there is no infiltration, and a radiant system is being used,
people add moisture to the space, but there is no mechanism for moisture
to leave the space.  What happens is that moisture levels rise to
saturation and the radiant system is not able to turn on at all.  So,
you might want to check this in your file.

I hope this helps.  Please let us know if you have further questions or
comments about the radiant model or EnergyPlus.

Thanks,

Rick Strand
EnergyPlus Development Team