To: energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: yli006@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:18:02 -0500
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Need Help

Hi, Linda

Microsoft is up dating my PC every week with some automatic program updates.  After the last VISTA release  update, some 'frames' in the browser do not display correctly.  The left, center, and left  frame area became one long page.

The latest transistion program problem was probably introduced by the DOS window switch.  VISTA does not allow pop up and new window open without admin permission.  When the program is not running as adminstrator, the warning message  does not show and the program hang.

Because I was running as an adminstrator, the DOS window switched from the Black to the  gray one, and disconnected the link to the batch file, without notice.  If the shortcut is made to the batch file, and not to the  transition--.exe, I think the problem with 'Start in:' etc. may not exist.

I have window short cut icons pointing to other DOS batch files and have no problem.  Normally, I  double click a batch file to  open the DOS window and execute the file at the same time.

With the EPlus batch files , I have added a 'pause' at the end, so that the DOS window does not exit automatically.  If I use the DOS (short-cut) PIF, this is set in the option.
The pause let me look for any error messages during  the execution phase.

I think, if you do not switch DOS windows, the problem will go away with VISTA.

Dr. Li.