[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Rapid Development and Calibration Question

Dear Erik,

"Large number", "short time", "existing building" and Energy Plus
don't fit together very well in my opinion ... at least with current
tools.

An existing building       must use the actual weather for the actual
billing period in question.  You'll have to create your own files for
that. I've been contemplating pulling that together for my locale /
region, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Hourly simulation should be plenty accurate (to save computation
time).  That said, you're still going to need a bazillion runs to tune
the      s.  I think the only sane way to do it will be to gather
extensive field data, including actual setpoints.  This should include
sensor calibration checks; a couple degrees here and there can impact
a LOT of energy.

PSD Consulting (Chris Balbach (607) 277-6240 x256) is beginning the
development of just such a toolset for existing buildings.  I don't
think they're very far along the path, but it would be worth some
discussion with them because I think they've put some thought into the
issues that arise between a real building and E+. (for example, how do
you       the real world situation of a reheat control valve leaking
water through when it's supposed to be closed?  It's not something
envisioned by the E+ developers)

Finally, I think      ing of existing buildings is a huge opportunity
and should be a top priority for the      ing community; that's where
90% of the building energy is used!  I will be spending a significant
amount of effort towards making it economical in addition to accurate
/ defensible, but it may not be in time for your effort.

Nonetheless, I'd love to hear about what you learn.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Erik Greensfelder
<erik.greensfelder@...> wrote:

> All,
>
> I am a graduate student at the University of Colorado working on a
project
> that will require a very small team to develop a large number of
Energy Plus
> models for existing large commercials buildings in a short time
frame.  I
> have been searching methodologies to streamline the model
development and