RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] electric power (watts) of PTAC

Hi, Hu Jia

I do not know how you get the fan power of 9W.

In your xls, the HVAC power goes to zero, because it is a on/off system.  The power value has no real meaning.  PLR is varying and not the equipment power.

When the power reading averaged over an hour period, it may be very low or zero.  That was why I said your numbers in the xls were reasonable.  The maximum of 992 watt is just over one HP, which is the average size of a window unit.

A typical window unit has a half horse power compressor and a half horse power fan, or two quarter HP fans in a split unit.  I assume that the wattage in the xls is not the fan power alone, and is the total power of the HVAC equipment.

A small window unit compressor is the same as the one used in your refrigerator.
A quarter HP fan draws about 200 wats.  This amount of  heat may be added to your cooling load, if the fan motor is in the air flow path.  The exact amount depends on how you define it in the IDF.

 Dr. Li