Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: \[EnergyPlus_Support\] Outlet and Inlet differ by more than tolerance\?

YunPeng:

I took your 3.0 input file and converted it to 4.0.  After running it, I looked at the diagram of the HVAC loops, and there are a couple things that look odd to me, but the chilled water loop itself seems to be setup OK.

I debugged a bit, and may have come across a bug in the chiller simulation.  You see, the pump is trying to run, even though it seems the loop doesn't have demand.  This shouldn't be happening because the pump is set to Intermittent, but regardless it is.  When this occurs, the chiller doesn't have any demand, and so the flow from the pump should just pass through the chiller and out the outlet of the loop.  However, the chiller is cutting off the flow.  Thus the pump is pushing flow, but the chiller is turning it off.

I am concerned that some of the air loop/coil configurations could be causing this odd behavior of flow request and components turned off, as the coils interact with the demand side of the loop. Two recommendations for now:

1: Add a bypass to the plant loop supply side to allow this excess flow to go down that path.
2: Investigate the coil/air loops setup a bit more to make sure the configurations are allowed.  I'll look into this as well, but I am not as familiar over there as I am with the plant simulation.

In the meantime, I'll file this is a bug in the chiller and investigate a little further how to catch and provide error support for this situation.

Thanks,
Edwin Lee