RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Prevalence of Design Builder

Matt,

I agree with a lot of what Jason has said, and surprisingly I used to use a very similar workflow because Designbuilder was, at a time, the only real interface for easily creating geometry. Unfortunately, as Jason said, the systems capability of the program was such that you still needed to start from scratch on the HVAC side for a number of reasons. Ultimately I couldn?t justify to our office to pay for a license of Designbuilder just to create geometry when OpenStudio was progressing as a free solution.

Now, I have heard that this latest version of Designbuilder has made substantial progress and I plan on testing it before passing judgment on its current state. I believe a trial is available on their site.

I have also been using a trial version of Bentley?s AECOSim and I hope to provide some feedback to Bentley and this users group on my initial findings, but I don?t have anything to share at this time because I have not used it enough.

With these products in addition to EPGUI and OpenStudio it really is an exciting time for Energyplus end users as competition always sparks innovation. Ultimately you should try each in order to determine what works best for your project size, scale, budget and office workflow. Many like myself are still content, for the moment, using the free offerings from the DOE & NREL.

Alan Jackson, LEED AP

Kling

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov