Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Unitary Air conditioners

JijuKin, this is how I understand it;

The COP is the output cooling thermal power divided by the input electrical power for a single fixed operating condition in i.e. kW/kW. So the output would be measured by, for example, the enthalpy change of air or water through the cooling coil (evaporator). And the input power would be, at a minimum, the electrical power to the motor of the compressor, this would be for a central water chiller for example. However some packaged units also include in the COP the input power of the fan on the condenser coil, so be careful! And also check that the rating conditions for your unit COP match the rating conditions that EnergyPlus expects, for example, from the manual for packaged DX;

"""
Rated conditions are air entering the cooling coil at the maximum supply air flow rate at 26.7°C drybulb/19.4°C wetbulb with air entering the outdoor condenser coil at 35°C drybulb. The input power includes electric power for the compressor and condenser fan but does not include the power consumption of the supply air fan.
"""

The SCOP is the integrated COP over the entire season, in i.e. kWh/kWh. So you would theoretically integrate the cooling power and the electrical power over the entire season and divide them at the end. I beleive the SCOP is calculated on a test bed by using i.e. 4 rated COP's and taking a weighted average. I have also heard that rated SCOP is higher than rated COP by around 10%, so there should be a way to estimate rated COP from SCOP. Let's see, anyone have a nice reference to convert SCOP to COP?

Cheers,

Marcus
--
Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C