From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen Walkerman
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 2:58 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Snowmelt

Hi Edward,

Thanks.  I'm fairly familiar with how snowmelt systems work - I've run some excel calculations based on hourly weather files using the outdoor air temp to calculate "standby" losses and the snowmelt flag coupled with total yearly snowfall to estimate total energy use.  Standby losses are definitely a large part of the equation.  I'd love to be able to use EP to simulate something like this, but you're right - it's not just EP, it's also the weather files.  Maybe EP could use a combination of a "snow-flag" and some user-entered values about the average annual snowfall to develop the information needed to run the simulation.

--

Karen