RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Easy question - Very thick massive external floor

Hi, Jean

I think, you are not quite correct to say that the conductivity changes with temperature.

The heat conducted through the floor depends on the conductivity and temperature difference between the surfaces..

 This is another reason why you should not use radiant floor for heating.  It is not energy saving nor capital cost saving.

You should simply add insulation below the floor, and install the heating on the top of the floor.
Before the digital computing was made available, we use a slide rule and the basic formulae for this type of calculation.  The model is a number of RC cascaded sections, as shown in the EPlus Engineering manual.  Using a determinant or  matrix method, the answer is in the form of a number of exponential with different CR values, or a single RC section as a lumped equivalent.

What you are trying to get is a steady state solution with two different temperature values across the floor.

When you change the value on one side, the value at the other side will change with a time delay.  This time delay is causing problem with the simulation, when the digital calculating engine tries to force a result at a shorter computation time. (I.e. using  less storage registers during computation.)

There is no thickness restriction when using analogue calculatation.

I believe that EPlus has a number of ways to do the CTF calculation.  A different algorithm in Eplus may  find the heat transfer across a thick slab.
Now you know the heat transfer value, you can add a component in the zone using the other equipment object and vary the amount according the difference between  the garage temperature to 32°C (the interior temperature), when the heating is on with a schedule.  The heat transfer condition can then remain as adiabatic.

Otherside Coefficient Schedule may not help, because the values are changing on both side of the thick slab during simulation.

 Dr. Li