RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Easy question - Very thick massive external floor

Dear Jean,

This is my “practical vs. theoretical” side:

How much impact do you suppose 3W / m2 will have on overall results? for the limited number of days when it’s really cold or warm in the garage?

Every now and then, I find myself doing something in EnergyPlus or other endeavors, “just because I can”.  In other words, I’m proud of my capability and enjoy demonstrating it to myself (because none of my friends have a clue about it J)

On more rare moments, I ask myself if it really benefits my client or the world in general by getting that extra imagined accuracy.  There are so many variables that we estimate or make assumptions about in a typical energy model, and so many more that will get built differently than the “perfect” scenario shown on the plans, that the overall accuracy is ….. not very good.

That said, you clearly and regularly demonstrate on this forum a desire to provide outstanding simulations to your clients, and the world needs more of that!  Just try to maintain a reasonable balance between accuracy and making enough money to keep food on the table.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653