Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Conversion of eQuest DOE2 project file to EnergyPlus

My efforts in this area dates back to 2006-2007 when I had a project to convert for a state energy office a large number  of DOE-2.1E input files to EnergyPlus, out of which came a modified version of 2.1E that I've named doe2ep.  There was not enough funding for doe2ep to cover everything in DOE-2, but it did include all of LOADS, the most common HVAC system types (VAV, PVAVS, PSZ, etc.), and had a generic PLANT. There have been other attempts to convert just the LOADS portion of DOE-2 to EnergyPlus (please see under the EnergyPlus utility programs), but I think doe2ep is the only attempt so far for a complete translation. Due to its incomplete status and the fact that the IDF was already outdated by the time I gained license to the source code, I've never bothered to release doe2ep.

In the past half year, I've had several requests to convert DOE-2.2 files to EnergyPlus and, perhaps foolishly, I agreed to look into it.  Since there was neither time nor budget for a true software solution (which in my mind would be built on top of DOE-2.2, like doe2ep was built on top of DOE-2.1E), I developed a multi-step procedure going from 2.2 to 2.1E to EPV1.4 before finally arriving at EP7.0 (see attached PPT).

With this admitted ad-hoc procedure, I have been able to convert successfully several hundred 2.2 files to EnergyPlus, although if you've seen my postings over the past several months, you'll know that I've run into various glitches and hiccups along the way.

Since this is not a polished piece of software by any means, I also don't think it's proper to distribute this procedure as a "tool" for general use.  However,  I am open to providing a service to those interested in having their eQUEST/DOE-2.2 files converted to EnergyPlus. If you send me your file, I will run it through my procedure, and tell you how much effort it would take for me to clean it up and return to you a working IDF.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D