RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Testing in design time

Much better stated!

I especially agree with the recommendation to work on envelope and internal (e.g., lighting) loads BEFORE thinking about HVAC.

Another thought that occurs to me is to consider the impact of zoning.  For example, mixing different uses in one area of the building may require operation of HVAC when it otherwise could be turned off.  An extreme example in a project in my town was that a server (computer) room received cooling from the central chiller, so the chiller had to operate in the winter when outdoor temps were below 0C.  This is not exactly a zoning concept, but it was definitely a Bad Idea, forcing the chiller and pumps to operate all winter!

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jean marais
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:41 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Testing in design time

Just like James, I wish I had more of those projects.

Decrease external and internal loads...my steps

1) Site selection: think of likes to transportation, views into green space, public services, and many more... check out the LEED SS credits on this as a good guide
2) Building orientation with respect to glazing fronts, South facing windows provide the most benifits for daylight and energy saving
3) I would try and stay below 40% glazing...basically more glazing = more energy usage upto about 10% Window to Wall ratio based on two story building. But more glazing = more appeal to Architects and us. Floor to ceiling glazing is optically great but has draft problems and increases the "fall" of cold air down the window resulting in discomfort zones near the window. Big cold radiative exchange areas (windows) are also a source of discomfort.
4) External shading is amazing when used creatively and very benitfitial. Think of combining with PV panels, Transpired Solar collectors, solar thermal heating, etc.
5) on the topic of daylighting, try keep perimeter daylit zones not deaper than twic