RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Hi, questions about solving ODES in Energy Plus

No need  to dig too deep into the EPlus algorithm without understanding why you are doing the simulation.

The EPlus is designed to calculate the property of the building with the sun radiation, outdoor air temperature and  humidity, ground temperature, and site shading as the boundary condition.

I have not look up the manual.  If 's' is surface and 'i' is interior, then Tsi is the zone mean air temperature at the start of the next calculation step.  It changes during the calculation, and finally at the new zone mean air temperature for the next cycle.

The EPlus calculate the demand and following calculation convert them into supply capacity, and loses efficient all the way.  (fans, compressors, pumps, coils, heat exchanges, i.e. system and plants.)

If you need x watts to heat a zone, a baseboard heater, as an example, should have the same power.  If less than x, under sized.  If larger than x, use PLR to adjust.

If the heat balance  is to be provided with air, then the temperature difference and flow rate would provide the capacity information to match.  Fan motor efficiency is to be added.  The DX coil and the compressor motor and condenser fan etc. all add to the power equipment.  So a constant COP value  is used to simplify the calculation, if the exact performance curve is not available.  With the performance curve, the COP is varied for each time step to match the demand.

When you have equipment in cascade, the preceding equipment  is the demand.  The tower in the condenser loop will treat the condenser coil condition as the demand.

You may threat these as post processing with table look up at each internal  time step after the zone demand is known..

"So in the first step, we get an estimate of the air system energy required to balance the equation with the zone air temperature, how can we get this as a demand and determine the actual supply capability? "

First step is to get the zone demand, if you require HVAC.

The  HVAC power  needed  to maintain  the set point zone temperature at the thermostat provides the demand value. .  Without HVAC, the zone will have the natural temperature at that exterior conditions, i.e. no HVAC demand, which is the most energy saving condition.

 Dr. Li