Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Identifying the cooling energy use of individual zones

Hi Annie

I like Jean's approach. I spend some time today exploring the file you uploaded. The HVAC system has 4 chilled water branches (AHU's Cooling Coil loop + 3 chilled ceiling elements in B1Office, B1Office2 and B2Caffe) and bypass. Air is distributed to all thermal zones from the central AHU.

The question you would like to answer is how much chiller's electricity is consumed by Building 1 (B1Office + B1Office2) and by Building 2 (B2Cafe).

These are proposed steps:
1. Calculate fractions of the mass flow rate for each of 4 chilled water branches (note that the branch flow rate is divided with the pump flow rate decreased by bypass flow rate). This is used to calculate the portion of chilled water pump energy dissipated into each of the chilled water streams (energy which needs to be removed by the chiller as well).
2. Determine the chiller load from individual cooling elements (there are 4 cooling elements: cooling coil and 3 chilled ceiling elements). Equation looks like (cooling coil is in example): Q_CC_ChLoad = MassFlowRate_CC * cp * (T_CC_out - T_CC_in) * TimeInterval[sec] + CC_MassFlowRateFraction * CHL_Pump_HeatGain
Second part of the equation is to add pump dissipated heat to the water stream.
3. Calculate fractions of the air flow rates for each of 3 thermal zones (Air Terminal Flow Rate / AHU Flow Rate).
4. Determine the chiller load from individual thermal zones. For example: B1Office_ChLoad = B1Office_ChilledCeiling chiller load (calculated in the step 2) + B1Office_Air_FlowFraction * CoolingCoil chiller load.
Second part of the equation assigns the portion of cooling coil cooling energy (used to treat the air distributed to the thermal zone).
5. Knowing the chiller load from individual thermal zones and the chiller COP we can calculate the chiller electricity consumption. At the end, we just need to sum particular zones to get the chiller electricity consumption of individual buildings.

These steps can be done either in excel (post processing) or within EnergyPlus using EMS. I had some free time so I tried to encode this in EnergyPlus and the results are promising. HTML file reports chiller electricity consumption of 985.75 kWh, while I get 586.2 kWh for building 1 and 399.37 kWh for building 2 (985.56 kWh in total).

You can see the EMS objects at the end of attached file.

Cheers,
Ivan

Dr Ivan Korolija
IESD, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK