Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Quick path to learn HVAC detailed modeling approach, is there an

Hi all,

We use force-directed graphs in gEnergy for HVAC editing and visualisation. A little unusual but quite helpful for revealing the underlying structure, components, symmetries, directions, controllers etc.

HVAC graphs from 450 EnergyPlus sample projects visible through our wiki

http://greenspacelive.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Tutorials

A simple example here. Click on the 'HVAC Graph' button to see the graph.

http://bit.ly/188hyBx

Enjoy!

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

Jim,

About re-inventing the wheel: EnergyPlus has already had (for quite sometime) an abstraction layer that hides all node definition from the user. What I mean is the HVACTemplate. Before any of the GUI's came out, what I imagine is that any GUI will simply ride on top of this elegant infrastructure.

But, alas, that is not the case. All of EnergyPlus's HVAC GUI uses their own template system. For me this is re-inventing the wheel. Granted, that the EPlus developer cannot provide HVAC template for all HVAC system out there, at least not fast enough. But that does not mean everybody should define their own "standard" of writing nodes, so much so that every GUI cannot import a simple HVAC system from an IDF.

If only all the GUI follows the "standard" node expansion as defined by the HVAC template ... world can  be much simpler.

Ery