RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Cubic Curve in variable speed pump

Adrian,

1.       I think I answered some of your questions in my response to Adam Barker (particularly the spreadsheet attachment).  That spreadsheet does not address the VSD power losses, but that is easy to add into the “Actual” column. (I forgot to do that before sending L)

2.       VSD manufacturers are normally different than the pump manufacturers.  In addition, pumps need not be applied with a VSD.  That means the data comes from two sources.

3.       Bless you for actually using the Engineering Reference! Too many new users do not use the documentation.  It’s rather intimidating because there is so much of it, but it is definitely an important tool for understanding E+.

4.       For pump power, I think I need to refresh my understanding with a new reading of the reference information, but here is my understanding:

o   Several years ago, I read in the I/O Reference or Engineering Reference that auto-sized pump mechanical efficiency was a constant 78%.  I cannot find that reference this evening, but I’m pretty sure that it’s still true. In order to calculate power for auto-sized pumps, it is also necessary to input pump head.

o   For a “real” pump, I think you can just input the Rated Power Consumption from the manufacturer � tthat value will include the impact of pump mechanical efficiency.

5.       The power reported in manufacturer literature takes no account of motor efficiency; the manufacturer reports the power needed for the pump work alone.  Motor inefficiencies add to that value for what is needed from the power utility.

6.       I think you are absolutely correct that  Shaft Power should be Power / MotorEffic.  I recommend that you report this to the Help Desk for confirmation and correction.

7.       (http://energyplus.helpserve.com/)   EnergyPlus is very good, but not perfect and small contributions by everyone will help make it even better!

o   I’m not perfect either, but take pride that I’ve found a few E+ bugs in the past few years.  My loving wife is the only one who normally hears about my discovery of various bugs, since the rest of my friends don’t know much about energy modeling.  She decided a few years ago to give me some small adhesive labels with images of insects (“bugs”) and I place one on my monitor each time a bug is discovered and verified. (see photo below) I’m up to 14 so far!  You can also take pride in this! Catch me if you can�

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653