Re: [Bldg-sim] Claiming refrigerated casework savings for a LEED project

The LEED for Retail New Construction and Major Renovations reference guide under EAc1 outlines a baseline refrigeration system.  We have used this for Austin Energy Green Build in the past.  It does a pretty good job but is a little vague on some of your issues.  The Energy Trust of Oregon has a version as well: http://energytrust.org/library/forms/NBE_PG_TechGuidelines.pdf.
Tim

Tim Johnson
Mechanical Engineer
o 208.336.4900 | d 208.577.5645
>>> Jim Dirkes <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1/22/2014 3:32 PM >>>

Dear Forum,

I am modeling a supermarket which has made effort to install refrigerated casework that is more efficient than “normal” in three ways:

�&nbbsp;            Casework lighting is LED instead of fluorescent

�  &nbbsp;          Evaporator fans use ECM motors and are demonstrably more efficient

� &nnbsp;           The compressors have higher COP

I did not realize that claiming savings from a “process” load also requires substantiation of the Baseline energy for the process load via comparison to several similar facilities or a published paper.  I wish I knew that months ago!

We have data from three other supermarkets owned by the same company, but these other examples are not identical.  So far, all I can say is that:

a)            Manufacturer literature claims that LEDs used in their casework use ~ 65% less energy than fluorescent lights

b)            ECM fans use about 35% less energy in a manufacturer power comparison table

c)            The COP is better (I do not have detailed data yet)

This strikes me as a fairly weak argument, so I am asking you for suggestions or published data to strengthen the argument.

p.s., My last alternative is to ignore the process energy savings and make it the same for both models.  I think the savings are substantial, however, and would rather find a way to claim them!

BPT-e-mail-signature-template_readable-text

"Attack me � rather than the path I follow and whichh I point to anyone who asks me where I think it lies. If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering side to side?"  Leo Tolstoy