RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Air Curtains Modeling

Interesting discussion. I have to model a building where there are air curtains (aka "air doors") for a LEED project. Would you model them in the same way in the baseline model and in the proposed model? Can it be considered heating energy (it would be strange, because it doesn't work when the internal zone needs heat, but when the door is opened) or process energy?
Do you advice some particular objects of EnergyPlus to model air curtains?
Regards

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <jim@...> wrote :

Hisham,

An â??air curtainâ?? in the USA is strictly a fan that recirculates air at a door.  Occasionally it has a heating source.  (For some automotive applications, it is also uses 100% outdoor air!)

·         A recirculating fan cannot change zone air pressure, only the micro-climate pressure in the immediate vicinity of the door. (Consider the definition of 100% recirculation!)

·         The device normally cycles on when the door opens, and may have a minimum operating cycle time, so you will need to determine approximate operating time and reflect it in a schedule.

o   The fans often discharge air at high velocity (20 m/s | 4000 f/min) and are fairly low efficiency, so they use significant power.

·         If they have heating capacity, discharge temperature is often fixed at about 35-40C.  (You should confirm this with the design engineer or temperature controls schematics)

·         It seems impractical to precisely account for mixing between zones, but you might assign a fraction to each of the adjacent zones.  I think I would put all the energy in the â??coldâ?? zone (e.g., warehouse)

Good luck!  This should not be difficult for you.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653