From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:04 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Windows radiation rate

Just to add a bit of reflexion to this question, I would be glad to use the zone windows total heat gain rate as it seems to be the most complete value to estimate solar influence on the external gains.
However, there is a big gap between the total transmitted solar radiation alone and the windows total heat gain. Indeed, I encounter almost 600 W of difference between these two variables that can be only explained by the convection, conduction and net IR heat flow. Convection and conduction can add roughly 100 W - 150 W (calculated by hand) therefore I cannot explain why is there such a gap between the value given by the total transmitted solar radiation and the windows total heat gains. Furthermore, I don't get what is the IR net heat flow, as it should be part of the transmitted solar radiation (in my opinion) !

Anyone can think of an explanation ? Am I missing something or doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

Florian (for a brighter understanding of solar influence)

Posted by: "Edward G. Lyon" <EGLyon@xxxxxxx>