Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: PHASE CHANGE MATERIAL MODELLING- URGENT

Thanks for sending this along.  I am currently working with the E+ team on a new PCM model that uses separate melting and freezing curves, you can read about it here: https://energy.gov/eere/buildings/downloads/energyplus-hysteresis-pcm-model and here: https://www.sbv.org/projects/buildings-round2-nrgsim.html

My findings of the single curve method included in the current version of energy plus that led me to work on development of a dual curve model are as follows:  "The current PCM model in E+ results in an error where it falsely reports added energy consumption whenever the the PCM is melting as temperatures rise, then temperatures fall and the PCM immediately adds the heat back to the space and then temperatures rise again and more cooling is needed and has to deal with the heat that had been released from the single curve PCM model rejected the heat back into the space as soon as temperatures fell. When in reality there is some subcooling where the PCM does not actually release its stored heat until it reaches the freezing point."

For the single curve inputs to E+ I have attached an example of a dataset I created in 2012 from DSC for an example.  However, I would suggest that you make your inputs from three critical points that are the average of your melt and freeze curves similar to the chart pasted below

Best of luck, and please let us know how the study goes-- also curios what product you are modeling?

Inline image 1

Jeremiah D. Crossett | Chief Technological Officer | NRGsim Inc.
7409 SW Capitol Highway Portland OR, 97219 #204
503-688-8951 | nrgsim.com | Linkedin | Github