Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Questions about Phase Change Materials simulation. [2 Attachments]

I made the attached database for Phase Change Energy Solutions back when I was their Senior Applications Engineer from 2011-2015. It was made with DSC testing. DSC testing is not a good method for testing PCM products because it involves very small (5-10 mg) samples and too fast of ramp rates (1-5C/min) Currently I am working on a database of PCM products using the proper method, attached for reference "Designation: C1784 â?? 14 Standard Test Method for Using a Heat Flow Meter Apparatus for Measuring Thermal Storage Properties of Phase Change Materials and Products. Please note that the current version of Energy Plus does not include the effects of hysteresis or sub-cooling and thus can have erroneous results for some PCM products (ones that have sub cooling) and some building load profiles (ones that experience non linear temperature profiles).

More to come from me on this subject at a later date-

Jeremiah D. Crossett | Chief Technological Officer | NRGsim Inc.
7409 SW Capitol Highway Portland OR, 97219 #204
503-688-8951 | nrgsim.com | Linkedin | Github