[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Questions about Phase Change Materials simulation.

Mark,
I don't know why did you write your comment in such a manner, as I never even mentioned that I'm expecting a PCM to store summer heat for winter use. The main point of my research is to test whether PCMs are suitable as a passive cooling option in the city of Vienna.
Your second message is what I expected. Thank you. Basically I will do a research in order to find what melting points are most efficient for the moderate central European climate and continue my research with any suitable PCM that I find. My intent is not to present the most efficient or the best PCM on the market (for the case of Vienna), but to test how effective PCMs are in general, what are the energy savings in comparison to the same space being controlled by an active cooling method, etc.

Ooi,
I have already contacted dozens of companies and managed to get enough data. Thank you for your answer, I do think that is the best way to get required data.

Jeremiah,
Thank you as well for your message. Now I see I still have to learn and research about sub-cooling, but as I understood, choosing to simulate a PCM in which sub-cooling does not occur will provide me the most accurate results? I will read some papers on sub-cooling and then reconsider my choices.

Thank you all for your input, it is very helpful.

Now one more time please, I hope someone can answer this uncertainty I have over E+ input parameters, to quote myself:
"Now my bigger issue is with enthalpy values which range until 27°C. In the Energy+ input-output reference (1.8.8.1.3 Field Set: Temperature-Enthalpy) it is stated: "It is suggested that the function start at a low temperature, and extend to 100C".
What to do when the data set does not go more than 27°C? Will the simulation be accurate enough if that is the last value or some assumptions should be made based on the previous temperature values?"

The focus is not on 27°C, but whenever the span is not large (I have some other data where my highest provided heat capacity is at 31°C).

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Nedim

Posted by: Nedim Hodzic <nedimho@xxxxxxxx>