Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] sos!

This still leaves the problem that the coils are being sized to zero.

1.  Look in the eio output file in the "Zone Sizing Information" section, and
it shows that all of the zone design heating and cooling loads are zero.  This
is why the coils are sizing to zero - they see no load.  This indicates either
a thermostat problem or a zone description problem.

2.  In version 1.2.2, there are some new report variables related to
thermostats:

Zone/Sys Thermostat Control Type
Zone/Sys Thermostat Heating Setpoint [C]
Zone/Sys Thermostat Cooling Setpoint [C]

Reporting these variables shows that the thermostat control type schedule is
reversed such that cooling (control type=2) is active during winter and heating
(control type=1) is active during summer.  (If using Excel to view the csv
file, some of the surface-by-surface variables must be turned off to avoid
going beyond the column limits of Excel.)

Fixing the schedule definition for "SCHEDULE, Controltypesch" fixes the sizing
problem.

3.  With the sizing problem fixed, there are "Branch flow rates out of bounds
in FlowResolver" errors for the cooling loop.  Also, the HVAC Diagram drawing
fails in the plant loops which indicates a possible connection problem.

The problem is on the suppply side.  There are 3 branches on each supply sub-
loop (inlet branch, purchased heating/cooling branch, outlet branch), but there
are no supply-side connectors (splitter and mixer) to connect them.  This
condition should generate a specific error message indicating the problem.  A
change request will be submitted to add this check for the next version.

There are two ways to fix this:

a) Add a splitter and mixer to the supply side, each with one inlet branch and
one outlet branch.  It does not split or mix, but it does sever to connect one
branch to the next.

b) Put the pump and purchased heating/cooling on a single branch and eliminate
the pipe.

Both of these changes will require some adjustment of node names.  All of the
node names on different branches must be unique.

Mike

On 27 Apr 2005, at 8:00, Linda Lawrie wrote:

> This is no longer a problem -- at least it will not fatal, but change the
> design value, in V1.2.2
>
> I believe there are more messages now, too, to help you decipher the problem.
>
>     ** Warning ** The design coil load is zero for COIL:Water:Cooling COIL-ZONE
>     **   ~~~   ** The autosize value for max water flow rate is zero ** Warning
>     ** The design air volume flow rate is zero for
> COIL:Water:Cooling COIL-ZONE
>     **   ~~~   ** The autosize value for max air volume flow rate is zero
>     ** Warning ** SizeWaterCoil: Coil="COIL-ZONE", Cooling Coil has leaving
> humidity ratio > entering humidity ratio.
>     **   ~~~   ** ..will be sized for 50% of design entering humidity ratio.
>
> so, you need to register and download the new version.
>
> Linda
>
> EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
> Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list
> Member: EnergyPlus Development Team