Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Cool surface

I am not sure I understand completely what you mean by "cool surfaces."  Do you
mean light-colored exterior surfaces intended to reduce cooling load by
reflecting a higher fraction of the incident solar?  If yes, then
absorptance:solar is the primary influence.  This governs how much of the
incident solar radiation is absorbed by the surface.  Absorptance:thermal is
also important, because it governs the long-wave radiant transfer between the
surface and the sky and ground (if it is not a horizontal surface).  The
visible absorptance is used for the visible fraction of energy output from
LIGHTS and for daylighting calculations.  For exterior surfaces, remember that
it is the value of the outermost MATERIAL in the CONSTRUCTION list that governs
heat transfer on the outside surface.

And as Tasos suggested, you may find more details in the Engineering Reference.

Mike

On 13 Dec 2007 at 13:18, Michela wrote:

> I'm trying to simulate cool surfaces, the first question whether is
> it possible to simulate in E+ or not?
> If yes, the parameters which affect the performance are Absorptance
> :Thermal, Absorptance: Solar and Absorptance: Visible, defined under
> Group Surface construction elements.
>
> I try to change these parameters and observed that among these, the
> parameter Absorptance: Solar affects strongly the performance in
> comparison to other two parameters (Thermal and Visible). Somebody
> can tell me how E+ calculates the surface emissivity because it is
> important in case of cool surfaces.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Michela

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx