RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Air Exhaust from zones problem

I think I see your point. Setting up those schedules as 1 guarantees only that Outdoor Air Flow values defined in the Sizing:Zone object are met. Is this right?

What would be the procedure to set up the OA flow rate as the same as the fan rate? i'm using a Fan:ConstantVolume.

To: energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: yli006@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:07:56 -0400
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Air Exhaust from zones problem

The discussion started with:

"The system i'm trying to simulate is working with 100% outside air, and thus i need all zone air to be exhausted outside, with no return. "

My suggestion or respond to that was that the Fan flow rate should be taken into account in order to achieve this condition.  If the OA flow rate is less than the Fan flow rate, part of the return air will be sent to the mixed node of the OA mixer box.  I cautioned that the 100% OA with multiplier = 1 does not always mean 100% OA fresh air intake to a zone.
=============================
The follwing is   for  Linda:

In fact the OA mixer box should be configured the same way as the plant loop, with the environment as a large air tank. The zone is a small air tank, or a small air tank with holes inside the large air tank.

The  OA intake node air is mixed with part of the returned air from the Zone to form the mixed air output to the HVAC equipment branch.

The zone return air is split into the relief node air, and the by-passed returned air.

For the CBVAV model, the by pass damper can be a branch at the zone  splitter and mixer.

This OA mixer and splitter pair configuration matches that of a similar plant water loop, when pump rate is higher than the demand rate..

In this way, the air loop and the water loop have the similar topology.
================
For the Zone node, one pair of the zone nodes is used to complete the leak-less primary air loop or AFN ducts.  The second pair is for infiltration and ventilation.

The environment is a large air reservoir or tank.  It feeds the HVAC loop via the stream intake and relief nodes of the OA box.  By-pass branches are used to meet the zone and loop air adjustments, similar to the arangement for the water plant.
=====================
In the water plant loop no one will ask for 100% fresh water, except when the tank is also providing the domestic water usage, with cold water to the tap.  The plant operates with zero fresh water input, because there is no leak.  There is a safety valve hidden as the maximum plant temperature setting.

=========================
Pedro also had the following in his mail:

Severe  ** Demand Side Outlet Node Name (Return Air Path or ZoneHVAC:EquipmentConnections) not valid = ZONE EQ1 OUTLET NODE
 ~~~   ** Occurs in AirLoopHVAC = UTANN

For this type of error which also appeared in my IDF, I am checking my IDF against a schematic diagram.  In my case, (Mr. Ooi's ORICA project) I could make this error message disappear, but the SVG diagram was still not complete.  Mr. Ooi submitted a ticket and obtained a reply from

> 'Richard Raustad
>
> EnergyPlus Support'
>
> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: 2504
> Department: General

His IDF now has no warning or error and the SVG diagram is correctly displayed.   Therefore, I do not have a unsolved problem myself in using EPlus.

 Dr. Li