Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Can E+ model open loop ground heat exchanger?

Hi Jean,

As I reckon heat transfer mechanisms between pond (E+ for this type object is still closed loop through water coils, but even it can be an open loop) and aquifer as deep water (no expose to sun neither to ambient air) should be totally different. EnergyPlus engineering reference details the calculation for a pond ground heat exchanger, due to lacking of open loop vertical ground heat exchanger object, there is no way of comparison on heat transfer regimes between these two. Personally think cooling tower might be a best alternative if we can control return water temperature to a specific value imitating aquifer temperature. Really not sure if this is a logic approach.

Sean

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <jeannieboef@...> wrote:

Can't you say that your open loop is actually a closed loop with an infinite pond size?

2014-01-28 <seanking.1970@...>

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for the suggestions, but both pond and surface ground heat exchangers are using closed loops, which do not meet our need.

Sean

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <jcrossett@...> wrote:

I am confused,
Why not just use the Ground Heat Exchanger Pond or  Ground Heat Surface?
I have not used these, but may in the future, so wonder if there is some reason you are not?  ((see inline image from IDF editor))

Inline image 1

Jeremiah D. Crossett
  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203
 | Mobile 503-688-8951

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:03 AM, <seanking.1970@...> wrote:

Does not show attachment?