Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Solar Radiation Issue

Okay, I accept your apology.

Since you said you used a Monteith model  that I've not heard of to generate the hourly profiles of solar radiation, I wonder if it's of European origin, in which case it might be giving you the solar radiation at the hour, while EnergyPlus and other North American simulation programs expect the solar radiation to be for the previous hour or averaged for 30 minutes before the time stamp.  If this is what's going on, the solar you've calculated would be 30 minutes later than what EnergyPlus assumes it to be.  This difference can have a major effect on the radiation during the sunrise and sunset hours, since in addition to the 30 minute shift, EnergyPlus will be cutting off the radiation when it thinks the sun is below the horizon.

The easiest way to test if that's the cause of the dissymmetry between the east and west solar loads is to shift your building east by 7.5 degrees longitude. You could of course also calculate the solar at the 30 minute mark instead of on the hour.

Let me if that helps.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.