RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] HVAC Templates

May reply is in between the pargraphs below.

 Dr. Li

To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: loconinja@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:23:56 +0200
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] HVAC Templates

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:12 PM, YuanLu Li <yli006@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My reply is in between your questions.
You still have many warnings in the error file.  Since it is a large building with many zones,  I do not think that the HVAC system has been designed probably.
Since it took more than 30 miutes to run, I have not change any settings.

Yes, I'm aware of those error warnings, but few of them are related to geometry errors which I can check up later, and the others relate to zero loads in some of the zones. I thought they are not much of a big deal, but will look in to it later on today. Simulation time is quite long on my computer also. I wish it was more faster so you would have time for more detailed look.  This the reason why I never use weather file annual file simulation until all the errors and warnings are zero.

The data in the designDay objects are not correct.  You should verify them with the .ddy file that is down loaded with the weather file.
I did not use .ddy data for Summer/WinterDesignDays because I've used WeatherFile for nearest city to mine for annual simulation, and DesignDay data from more "reliable" source. They do mismatch but in in a very small degree.   If you say so.  I cannot prove it, because the environment outdoor temperature was not displayed.  If the designDay objects are not correct, the sizing information will also be wrong.  My main concern is that the daily temperature variation range was not given.

Thanks Dr. Li for your time and patience, I just have two more questions for you:

1. The reason I have used 0-40'C Thermostat for some zones is because I didn't really care about fully conditioning them. All I wanted for them is not to be colder than 0'C and not hotter than 40'C. But, regarding HVACTemplate:Thermostat, is ti better to use constant heating/cooling temperatures like I did, or use those safety guard Temperature Schedules +/-5'C during the off period, like you suggested?  In my applications, I do not schedule the plants and system as you do.

There will be no cooling guard action, if the cooling supply is turned off.  However, it is not necessary to turn on the whole plant.  Therefore, there are large chiller and smaller options and auxiliary heater options.

Providing a zone or air loop chedule does not turn on the plant, unless the plant is turned on when the Fan is turned on. (Using fan ON as the available  schedule for the plants.)

You only have one AHU for the whole building.  I do not think there is any HVAC designed that way.   One cooling coil  and fan for the whole building.

2. I've noticed on E+ Yahoo Group startup page information about new release of EnergyPlus, version 6.0.0.037! Did you had time to test it out? Any major improvements?
037 is a bug fix release for 023 release.  Both versions worked fine for me.  The detail is in the EPluse support yahoo website.

Boby